Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, December 12, 2008

Baking is no Piece of Cake

Whenever I have free time on Friday evenings, I like to try out a new cupcake or cookie recipe. As with all things in life, the baked goods never always turn out the way you envisioned them to. But so far, I think there have been more hits than misses. I'm toying with the idea of starting a separate blog to chronicle my kitchen experiments; my only fear is that I won't be cooking/baking enough to sustain it. For now, I'll park my "culinary exploits" here.

Rainbow Cupcakes: I think these will be my all-time fav for a looooooooooooong time. It's just so chirpy and cheery; and did I mention yummy? It's really just a basic vanilla cupcake recipe with lots of different food coloring. :)


My first attempt at butter cookies if you don't count the time I spent in Home Economics class mostly trying to figure out how not to burn anything. These turned out pretty well and I've since a couple of batches.
Tofu Monsters: Just another attempt to make food more fun and entertaining for the munchkin. Note: These are precooked monsters. We keep forgetting to take pictures of them after they're done, mostly because Kayla's usually screaming for her dinner by then.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

seriously, irene, i never knew u were sooo talented.. i'd admired your writing (i even kept your article on making the move till today - can you believe it), your art.. and now, baking too!? i love love love cupcakes! but i can only buy them. and eat them! HA

sammi65 said...

Wow, I love the rainbow cupcakes! How come I didn't get to sample any of these when I was there?

Irene said...

Mao's mom: Didn't I make my signature ginger beef for you?! :) hahaha... As for cupcakes, I had some in the fridge but they were two days old and I didn't want to offer you stale cupcakes! :) Next time, I promise. I just baked a super good batch of choc cupcakes with choc gananche!

Yoyo: You're too kind but thanks for the encouragement! :) It's not so much the talent, but the fact that I've the time to read recipes and experiment. Maybe u should pick it up as a hobby. I'll happily pass along all my recipes.
If I can find an oven the next time I'm back, I'll definitely bake a big batch for you! :)

sammi65 said...

Maybe it's time to invest in an oven, yoyo! Then I can join in the fun too. ;) Let's do it when mama's off for the year....

Irene said...

you ladies should totally do it...it's very therapeutic for the soul, but not so good for the waistline. :P